User Experience Designer
- Positions available in Minneapolis and Chicago.
We're always accepting applications for other locations and employment terms should the need arise. Apply today!
The Nerdery is looking for a highly motivated and passionate user experience designer to be responsible for crafting the architecture and user experience of our projects in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment. The Nerdery’s UX team covers a broad spectrum of practice areas including: discovery and analysis, user research, information architecture, interaction design and visual design. Our ideal candidate possesses a broad understanding encompassing multiple practice areas, or a deep and focused understanding of a single facet. We strongly emphasize user-centered design methodologies, so an ability and desire to justify design decisions with supporting research is a must.
Please do not apply without an online portfolio of your interactive work ready to share. Additionally, please send your resume in .PDF format.
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative solutions for a multitude of platforms including Android, iPhone, Facebook, Twitter and other emerging technologies
- Experience designing interfaces beyond simple brochure sites
- Analyze and understand business and application requirements, prioritize and identify user tasks and goals
- Develop a wide range of visual deliverables corresponding to your practice area: key insights documentation, affinity diagrams, user personas, research plans, prototypes, and visual design concepts are all examples of documentation we produce on a daily basis
- Work effectively within technical, creative, and budgetary constraints
- Adapt to a wide range of project types and timeframes
- Quickly and efficiently identify and prioritize requirements across multiple projects
- Think critically and creatively while maintaining close attention to detail
- Possess a high aptitude for learning
- Possess a natural inclination towards user experience and general usability, ensuring quality accordingly
- Communicate clearly and concisely through both written and verbal means
- Proficiency with a variety of design tools including Adobe Creative Suite, OmniGraffle, Visio or equivalent
- Associate’s degree in relevant field or 3+ years experience as a front end developer, information architect, interaction designer or related role
- Experience working with developers
- Experience leading creative teams
- Experience with research techniques such as: usability testing, site analytics interpretation and contextual inquiry
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
Nerdery Assessment Test
Applicants who progress beyond the first interview will be given a NAT Nerdery Assessment Test | noun Acing the NAT is hard work – because it’s real work. This is a test, this is only a test – but this assignment is the shape of things to come, if you’re hired. The NAT is every bit as important as what’s on your resume. tailored to their discipline. Applicants spend upwards to 10 hours on their NAT. Ace your NAT and you’ll get our attention.
This position qualifies for relocation reimbursement.
- Developer-oriented workplace; work on a variety of compelling, challenging projects surrounded by nerdy supergeniuses
- Created by nerds, for nerds; 85% of staff has development background, including senior management
- Casual dress
- Free breakfast, food trucks and convenient lunch ordering/delivery
- Team environment, collaborative learning environment, transparent communications
- Flexible 40-hour work week
- Benefits package including a 401k, unlimited sick days
- On-site Yoga classes, massage service
- Dog-friendly, including monthly dog grooming
- Chess, Anime, daily hackysack; home of 20+ extracurricular clubs and room for the one you want to create
- Opportunity to advance career at growing company always looking for emerging leaders
About The Nerdery
The Nerdery is a developer-driven interactive production shop that partners with creative minds and big thinkers to engineer and execute their interactive projects, including websites, social media and mobile apps. In 2010 and 2011, The Nerdery ranked #1 on the Best Places to Work list published by Mpls-St. Paul Business Journal. With offices in Chicago and Minneapolis, The Nerdery has a staff of hundreds and was founded in 2003 by three programming pioneers. The Nerdery was honored in 2010 with The Quality of Life Award and The Jefferson Award for its record of corporate philanthropy through The Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge, at which volunteers have donated nearly two million dollars worth of web development services to 66 nonprofit organizations. In addition to Biz Journal’s Fast 50 list, The Nerdery has made the Inc 5000 list of fast-growing privately owned companies for four consecutive years.
The Nerdery is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunity and to prohibit discrimination and harassment for everyone regardless of age, color, race, creed, gender, national origin or ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, registered domestic partner status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, status with regard to public assistance, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.