Nearly 160 web pros to create free websites for 16 nonprofits this weekend
Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge is March 20-21
From 9 a.m. Saturday until 9 a.m. Sunday, 159 volunteer web developers will donate more than 3,800 hours of professional services to 16 Minnesota nonprofit organizations selected for The Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge.
“For the third year in a row we openly challenged the entire Twin Cities web development community to force us into choosing only the 12 most qualified teams; after careful consideration we chose 16,” said Luke Bucklin, president of Nerdery Interactive Labs, a division of Twin Cities-based Sierra Bravo. “We at The Nerdery have never been more proud to be part of this awesome interactive community.”
When and Where:
Continuing Education and Conference Center, U of M St Paul Campus, 1890 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108 (Driving/parking directions)
Saturday, March 20-Sunday, March 21, 24 hours (in a row)
· 7:00 a.m. — Registration, set up work stations.
· 8:45 a.m. — Announce team/nonprofit pairings.
· 9:00 a.m. —Countdown begins. Nonprofits meet their teams, get to work...
· 6:00-9:00 a.m. — Judges make the rounds, spending 10 minutes assesing each team’s work.
· 9:00 a.m. — Web development stops. Judges pick Final Four teams to present their overnight website.
· 10:00 a.m. — Winner announced. Good night, and good luck.
These selection judges assessed applications from nearly 50 nonprofit hopefuls and will do double duty by judging the web development prowess of 16 development teams:
· Christine Durand, communication director, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
· Dan Grigsby, founder of multiple startups and tech community organizer
· Dana Nelson, executive director, GiveMN.org
· Bob Huff, head of LaBreche Brand
In addition to pro bono services from interactive professionals, nonprofits also get:
· Complimentary education in design and web applications, business analysis or project management from sponsor Benchmark Learning
· Complimentary web-hosting on sponsor VISI’s ReliaCloud service
· Complimentary digital communications advice from sponsor LaBreche
Additional in-kind sponsors: Adobe, Arthouse; Bruegger’s; Buffalo Wild Wings; Chipotle; Cub; Flashbelt, GitHub; Jimmy Johns; Kowalski’s; Peace Coffee; Pilotvibe Pizza Luce’; Red Bull; Unwind Within.
“Everyone who supports The Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge helps out just by doing what they do best, which in turn helps each nonprofit do what they do that much better,” said Bucklin. “This is The Nerdery’s finest hour and we’re honored to spend it in such good company.”
About Nerdery Interactive Labs
A division of Sierra Bravo, The Nerdery (www.nerdery.com) partners with ad and marketing agencies nationwide to execute their clients’ interactive projects, including social media and mobile apps. In the first two years of the Overnight Website Challenge, volunteers have donated more than half-a-million dollars worth of professional services to 23 nonprofits.
Office: (952) 948.1211 x1069
Cell: (612) 850.3178