Team Placeholder wins 2010 Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge
Nearly 160 web pros give 3,800 pro bono hours to 16 nonprofits in a day,
For Twin Cities web developers The Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge is a friendly competition with the grand prize of bragging rights. For the 16 nonprofits at this year's Challenge, they "won" the moment they were selected for the volunteer-driven annual meeting of the nerdy and the needy, created by Nerdery Interactive Labs, a division of Sierra Bravo.
Forced to pick a winner, judges awarded top honors to Team Placeholder for their work with Dakota Wicohan, a nonprofit whose mission is to preserve Dakota as a living language, and through it, transmit Dakota life ways to future generations. Dakota Wicohan had no existing website; see their new site and how it came together, literally overnight.
These judges assessed applications from nearly 50 nonprofit hopefuls and did double duty by judging the web development prowess of 16 development teams:
- Christine Durand, communication director, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Dan Grigsby, founder of multiple startups and tech community organizer
- Dana Nelson, executive director, GiveMN.org
- Bob Huff, head of LaBreche Branding
In addition to pro bono services from interactive professionals, nonprofits also get:
- Complimentary education in design and web applications, business analysis or project management from sponsor Benchmark Learning
- Complimentary web-hosting on sponsor VISI's ReliaCloud service
- Complimentary digital communications advice from sponsor LaBreche
Additional in-kind sponsors: Adobe, Arthouse; Bruegger's; Buffalo Wild Wings; Chipotle; Cub; Flashbelt, GitHub; Jimmy Johns; Kowalski's; Peace Coffee; Pilotvibe, Pizza Luce'; Red Bull; Unwind Within.
About Nerdery Interactive Labs
A division of Sierra Bravo, The Nerdery (www.nerdery.com) partners with ad and marketing agencies nationwide to execute their clients' interactive projects, including social media and mobile apps. In the first three years of the Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge, volunteers have donated approximately a million dollars worth of professional services to 39 nonprofits.
Office: (952) 948.1211 x1069
Cell: (612) 850.3178