It took the better part of the weekend to crown a champion of the 2012 Twin Cities Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge. After nearly 180 volunteer web pros worked 24 hours straight to help 18 Minnesota nonprofits build better websites, judges awarded bragging rights to Two Unicorns, One Moon for their work on behalf of West African Medical Missions.
Rounding out the competitive final four:
- Twin Cities EE, serving Franconia Sculpture Park
- The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen, serving Little Voyageurs Montessori School
- Team Pegacorn, serving Metro CISM Team
- The Return of the Team Redundancy Team Part 2, serving Minnesota Environmental Partnership.
- CodeX, serving Minnesota Coalition for the Homeless.
- Push N Run, serving Hourcar
- Raxacoricofallapatorius, serving The Windmill Project.
- PHP Nerds- Beta, serving Answer
- Drupal Rocks!, serving Bakken Museum.
- Full Court WordPress, serving Youth Performance Company
- Ruby.MN, serving Career Solutions Inc.
- Team BIOS, serving Community Neighborhood Housing Services
- Drop Shadows Not Bombs, serving North Star Therapy Animals
- Run PHP, Cancer Legal Line
- Get Off My LAN, serving TVBYGIRLS
- Ruby Off Rails, serving Center for Homicide Research
- Sleep-Deprivation Research Team #4, serving The Valley Friendship Club
During more normal business hours the more than 4,200 hours of pro bono services freely given would have a real-world street value of about half-a-million dollars. The 18 nonprofits were chosen from a field of more than 80 applicants, and the 18 teams were picked from a field of 34.
The Nerdery wishes to thank everyone involved - volunteers, nonprofits, judges and sponsors alike - for using their time and talent to help others. Event sponsors: VISI; Benchmark Learning; Arthouse; Bacio; Crave; Espresso Royale; GitHub; Gyropolis; Izzy’s; Jimmy Johns, The Lacek Group; MinneWebCon, Peace Coffee; Pizza Luce’; Red Bull; Sopranos Kitchen; St. Agnes Baking Co.; Unwind Within; Zelo.
Judges (selected nonprofits, will also pick winning dev team)
- Christine Durand, communication director, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Christian Erickson, principal, Zeus Jones
- Jamey Erickson, founder and creative director, Sevnthsin
- Dana Nelson, executive director, GiveMN.org
In the first four years of these nerdy deeds done dirt cheap, volunteers from The Nerdery and the interactive community at-large have donated more than $2 million worth of professional services to 66 nonprofits in Minnesota and Illinois. The Nerdery continues to consider this just a good start.
To hear about future nerdathons and relive this one, visit:
About The Nerdery
Web development firm The Nerdery has offices in Minneapolis and Chicago where more than 300 self-proclaimed nerds/web professionals partner with creative minds and big thinkers to envision and execute their interactive projects, including websites, mobile apps and social media. In 2010 and 2011, The Nerdery ranked #1 on the Best Places to Work list published by Mpls-St. Paul Business Journal. The Nerdery was honored in 2010 with The Quality of Life Award and The Jefferson Award for its record of corporate philanthropy through The Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge. In addition to BizJournal’s Fast 50 list, The Nerdery has made the Inc 5000 list of fast-growing privately owned companies for four consecutive years.